2 sticks of celery
1 mixed bunch of fresh woody herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, sage, bay , (30g)
100 ml red wine
2 x 400 g tins of quality plum tomatoes
Vegetable Layers (Instead of Pasta Sheets):
3 red peppers
200 g baby spinach
8 tbsp olive oil, plus a little for greasing
4 cloves of garlic
250 g mixed mushrooms
500 ml crème fraîche
60 g vegetarian hard cheese
100 g ripe mixed-colour cherry tomatoes
1. For the ragù, peel the onions, leek, carrots and celery, then chop it all into 1cm dice and place in a large casserole pan with 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
2. Saving a sprig each of rosemary and thyme, chope the remainder finely. Add to the pan for a few minutes, then pour in the wine and leave to cook away.
3. Scrunch in the tomatoes through your clean hands, then pour in 2 tins’ worth of water.
4. Leave to tick away for 30 minutes Cook for a further 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until thickened and reduced, stirring and mashing occasionally, adding splashes of water to loosen, if needed. Season to perfection.
1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Deseed the peppers, halve, then cut into large chunks.
2. Trim ends off aubergines, then cut into slices about ½cm thick.
3. Lightly grease 2 large baking trays, then place peppers and aubergines on top.
4. Toss with the olive oil, season well, then roast for 25 mins until lightly browned.
1. For the white sauce, peel and finely slice the garlic, and clean and finely slice the mushrooms.
2. Pick and finely chop the reserved rosemary and thyme.
3. Place a saucepan on a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil, add the garlic for 1 minute, then add the herbs, mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until lightly golden, stirring regularly.
4. Leave to bubble and cook away, then turn the heat down to low, stir in the crème fraîche and cook gently for a few minutes. Remove from the heat, then finely grate and stir in half the hard cheese.
1.Arrange a layer of the vegetables on the bottom,
2.Then pour over a third of the Ragu sauce.
3.Top with a layer of Egg plant
5.Then drizzle over a quarter of the white sauce.
6.Repeat until you have 3 layers of pasta.
7.To finish, spoon remaining white sauce over the pasta, making sure the whole surface is covered.
8.Scatter mozzarella over the top with the tomatoes.
9.Bake for 45 mins until bubbling and golden.